lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Sandeep Khanzode <sandeep_khanz...@yahoo.com.INVALID>
Subject Custom Sorting
Date Tue, 24 Jun 2014 17:31:33 GMT
Hi,

I am trying to implement a sort order for search results in Lucene 4.7.2.

If I want to use data for ordering that is not stored in Lucene as Fields, is there any way
this can be done?
Basically, I would have certain data that is associated logically to a document but stored
elsewhere, like a DB. Can I create a Custom Sort function on the lines of a FieldComparator
to sort based on this data by plugging it inside the sort function?

I have tested the performance of the Sort function for String and numeric types, and as mentioned
in some blog, it seems that the numeric type is much faster compared to the string type. However,
if I sort on a number of fields from multiple clients, the memory footprint, due to the FieldCache.DEFAULT
impl, increases approximately 5-6 times. If I run this on a machine which does not have this
capacity, will I get a OOM or will there be intense thrashing for the memory?

Thanks n Regards,
Sandeep Ramesh Khanzode