lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Toke Eskildsen ...@statsbiblioteket.dk>
Subject Re: search performance
Date Tue, 03 Jun 2014 07:17:41 GMT
On Tue, 2014-06-03 at 08:17 +0200, Jamie wrote:
> Unfortunately, in this instance, it is a live production system, so we
> cannot conduct experiments. The number is definitely accurate.
>
> We have many different systems with a similar load that observe the same
> performance issue. To my knowledge, the Lucene integration code is
> fairly well optimized.

It is possible that the extreme slowness is a combination of factors,
but with a bit of luck it will boil down to a single thing. Standard
procedure it to disable features until it performs well, so

- Disable running updates
- Limit page size
- Limit lookup of returned fields
- Disable highlighting
- Simpler queries
- Whatever else you might think of

At some point along the way I would expect a sharp increase in
performance.

> I've requested access to the indexes so that we can perform further testing.

Great.

- Toke Eskildsen, State and University Library, Denmark