lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Uwe Schindler" <...@thetaphi.de>
Subject RE: Lucene Upgrade from 2.9.x to 4.7.x
Date Tue, 17 Jun 2014 06:59:30 GMT
Hi,

> Thanks Uwe. I tried this path and I do not find any .cfs files.

Lucene 3 and Lucene 4 indexes do not necessarily always contain CFS files, especially not
if they are optimized. This depends on the merge policy. The index upgrader uses the default
one, which creates no CFS files for the largest segment of an index. As there is only one
after the upgrade, it is not in compound format.

> All that I see in my index directory after running upgrader is following files.
>
> -rw------- 1 root root  245 Jun 16 22:38 _1.fdt
> -rw------- 1 root root   45 Jun 16 22:38 _1.fdx
> -rw------- 1 root root 2809 Jun 16 22:38 _1.fnm
> -rw------- 1 root root  487 Jun 16 22:38 _1_Lucene41_0.doc
> -rw------- 1 root root   34 Jun 16 22:38 _1_Lucene41_0.pay
> -rw------- 1 root root 3999 Jun 16 22:38 _1_Lucene41_0.pos
> -rw------- 1 root root 5575 Jun 16 22:38 _1_Lucene41_0.tim
> -rw------- 1 root root  834 Jun 16 22:38 _1_Lucene41_0.tip
> -rw------- 1 root root  110 Jun 16 22:38 _1.nvd
> -rw------- 1 root root  343 Jun 16 22:38 _1.nvm
> -rw------- 1 root root  419 Jun 16 22:38 _1.si

That looks perfectly fine, although the index is very small. This is already the 4.x index
- how did the Lucene 3.6 index look like? The size of the index should be in the same magnitude
like before the upgrade.

> My search query returns zero object. Can someone help me here.

The reason for this can be changes in the analysis. Lucene searches only work, if the index
and query analysis are compatible, which is not guaranteed with such a gap in Lucene versions.
Please make sure that you use same analyzers before and after the upgrade with same matchVersion
parameter (in your case you would need to pass Version.LUCENE_2_9 parameter to your analyzer,
which is no longer available in Lucene 4). It depends on the behavior anaylyzer that was used
before, if it is possible to easily upgrade without reindexing all the data. E.g., StandardAnalyzer
changed its behavior to be Unicode conform in Lucene 3.x. This makes it incompatible for some
queries, but simple ones still work.

Uwe