lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erick Erickson <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: IndexWriter.addIndexes() multithread correct?
Date Thu, 22 May 2014 16:27:19 GMT
right, for docs with the same score, ties are broken by the internal Lucene ID.
This may even change _on the same node_ due to merges!

If you want to control this, consider always specifying a secondary sort by,
say, your id field if you have one, or date stamp or......

Best,
Erick

On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 8:58 AM, Nicola Buso <nbuso@ebi.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hi Uwe,
>
> thanks for the reply.
> I see slightly different order in the results, and I was thinking are
> docs with the same score and the difference between the two index (one
> with "addIndexes" multithreaded and one no) is because of the order of
> insert in the merged index; could be this the difference I see?
>

> nicola.
>

> On Thu, 2014-05-22 at 17:49 +0200, Uwe Schindler wrote:
>> Hi Nicola,
>>
>> Yes, it is thread safe, like all other methods in IndexWriter. In the case of the
one taking IndexReaders, Lucene will also do the merging concurrently.