lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erick Erickson <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Multi-thread indexing, should the commit be called from each thread?
Date Wed, 21 May 2014 14:58:40 GMT
I'll be more emphatic than Shai; you should _definitely_ not commit
from each thread, especially if you are doing a hard commit with
openSearcher=true or a soft commit.

In either case you open a new searcher which fires all your
autowarming queries which.. IOW they're expensive operations.

More than you ever wanted to know about hard and soft commits is here:
http://searchhub.org/2013/08/23/understanding-transaction-logs-softcommit-and-commit-in-sorlcloud/

FWIW,
Erick