lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Jack Krupansky" <j...@basetechnology.com>
Subject Re: Performance issue when using multiple PhraseQueries against a 1+ million entries index
Date Mon, 19 May 2014 20:28:00 GMT
Does your index fit fully in system memory - the OS file cache? If not,
there could be a lot of thrashing (I/O) as Lucene accesses the index.

-- Jack Krupansky

-----Original Message-----
From: Liviu Matei
Sent: Monday, May 19, 2014 4:21 PM
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Performance issue when using multiple PhraseQueries against a 1+
million entries index

Hi,

In order to achieve a somehow "smarter" search that takes into
consideration also the context I decided to use PhraseQuery. Now I create
~100 phrase queries from the input text and combine them with boolean query
into one query and issue a search against the index.
Now if the index size is big (1+ million entries with a lot of content) I
am encountering performance hits - reponse time ~30 seconds which is not
acceptable. Can you please tell me if there is a way to tune the
PhraseQueries ? Or is it another way to improve perfomance besides reducing
the number of queries, I've read a little about N-Gram query but not sure
if it is suitable in this scenario ?

Thanks and regards,
Liviu