lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Toke Eskildsen ...@statsbiblioteket.dk>
Subject Re: NewBie To Lucene || Perfect configuration on a 64 bit server
Date Tue, 20 May 2014 07:27:21 GMT
On Mon, 2014-05-19 at 12:40 +0200, Shruthi wrote:
> 1.       Client makes a request with a search phrase. Lucene
> application indexes a list of 500 documents(at max. ) and searches the
> phrase on the index constructed.

Fetching from NAS + indexing sounds like something that would take a
second or two. Have you tried this?

> We have decided to use MMapDirectory for above requirement.

As your index data are extremely transient and the datasets small,
RAMDirectory seems a better choice.

You state that you delete the index when the search has finished.
Wouldn't it be better to keep it a couple of minutes? That way further
searches from the same client would be fast.

Overall, I worry about your architecture. It scales badly with the
number of documents/client. You might not have any clients with more
than 500 documents right now, but can you be sure that this will not
change?

- Toke Eskildsen, State and University Library, Denmark