lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Toke Eskildsen ...@statsbiblioteket.dk>
Subject Re: Can RAMDirectory work for gigabyte data which needs refreshing of the index all the time?
Date Thu, 15 May 2014 12:37:19 GMT
On Wed, 2014-05-07 at 15:46 +0200, Cheng wrote:
> I have an index of multiple gigabytes which serves 5-10 threads and needs
> refreshing very often. I wonder if RAMDirectory is the good candidate for
> this purpose. If not, what kind of directory is better?

RAMDirectory will probably give you poor performance:
http://blog.thetaphi.de/2012/07/use-lucenes-mmapdirectory-on-64bit.html

Stick to MMapDirectory: As you are considering using a RAMDirectory,
your index must be smaller than the amount of free RAM, which means that
everything will be fully cached and fast.

- Toke Eskildsen, State and University Library, Denmark