lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Toke Eskildsen ...@statsbiblioteket.dk>
Subject RE: Stored fields and OS file caching
Date Sat, 05 Apr 2014 16:36:12 GMT
Vitaly Funstein [vfunstein@gmail.com] wrote:
> It's a bit of a guess on my part, but I did get better write and search
> performance with size <= 2K, as opposed to the default 16K.

For search that sounds plausible as that is very random access heavy and the disk cache will
contain a larger amount of data actually needed with smaller blocks. For writes (assuming
Solr writes, which are very bulk-oriented), it does not make sense that a smaller block size
should be faster. Smaller block sizes means more overhead and leads to more fragmentation,
both of which are anti-bulk.

The 2K does not always make sense BTW: Never harddrives used 4K as the smallest physical entity:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_sector

- Toke Eskildsen