lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: IndexWriter and IndexReader
Date Thu, 13 Feb 2014 17:27:09 GMT
Overwriting an index in-place while open IndexReaders are actively
searching works fine.

You can either open a new IW with OpenMode.CREATE, or, you can call
IW.deleteAll() if you have an existing IW already open.

Writing to a shared index directory mapped to N machines is not
generally done, because performance is often poor, though it should
work fine; usually apps replicate the index out to the N machines.
Lucene has a replication module that does this... but really if you
want to distribute load to N machines, you may want to just use Solr
or ElasticSearch, since they handle the replication / query load
balancing for you.

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com