lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Rose, Stuart J" <Stuart.R...@pnnl.gov>
Subject RE: Only highlight terms that caused a search hit/match
Date Sun, 16 Feb 2014 18:35:43 GMT
Hi Steve,

We leveraged the SpanQuery and Highlighting APIs in 3.5 a couple of years ago to do this.
In order to get accurate doc hits for the types of phrases that we needed to support search
on, we defined a phrase query syntax and then implemented a span query parser to create a
nested structure of span operations that embody the query.

The test output below gives the span structure that we generate and then the resulting highlights
for each query.

	spanOr([text:a, spanNear([text:b, text:z], 987654321, false)])
	<B>a</B> b c

	spanNear([spanNear([text:x, text:y, text:z], 0, true), text:a], 10, false)
	y z <B>x</B> <B>y</B> <B>z</B> <B>a</B>

I'll check to see if we can make it available as a starting point for what Mike is suggesting.

In the meantime, I recommend verifying that each span query is created as intended, keeping
in mind that doc hits may be 'valid', but might have matched for the wrong reason and therefore
have mismatched highlighting.

Stuart