lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Mindaugas Žakšauskas <min...@gmail.com>
Subject Sorting by locale
Date Fri, 03 Jan 2014 16:02:32 GMT
Hello,

We are in progress of migrating from Lucene 3.6.2 to the latest 4.6.0.
One of many issues we're having is the absence of SortField
constructor which had Locale parameter.

I was able to trace a similar problem/discussion at
http://lucene.472066.n3.nabble.com/getLocale-of-SortField-td4076562.html
in which Uwe has suggested to use SlowCollatedStringComparator from
the sandbox package.

My problem with the latter class is that it's javadoc suggests the
class is deprecated and will be removed in Lucene v5. So very little
point of using something which is scheduled for removal.

My problem is that I can't use the "proper" approach as in the system
which I work on the locale may not be known at the time of indexing,
however, the requirement to sort by certain locale is only necessary
in a few corner cases and I'm OK with the performance penalty it
entails.

What I don't understand is - has this slowness got worse in the last
Lucene releases due to changes of algorithm internals (and if yes, by
how much?) or has it stayed the same? Because surely if such an option
existed earlier and people were not complaining, what's the point of
removing it altogether? Why is it wrong to keep it in the sandbox with
all the necessary warnings attached?

Do I have any other options apart from cloning
SlowCollatedStringComparator into our project repository?

Regards,
Mindaugas