lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Derek Lewis <de...@lewisd.com>
Subject Re: Unexpected returning false from IndexWriter.tryDeleteDocument
Date Mon, 13 Jan 2014 23:37:39 GMT
Hello again,

I've been doing some further investigation, and once again, I'm stumped how
we could have had this problem happen in the first place.

I followed up on your mention of "one should not rely on when merges might
happen", which seems like good advice. :) That said...

We're always calling close() on IndexWriter before "unlocking the
directory", and close() calls close(true), which waits for merges to
complete.  Given that we only ever create an IndexWriter while we have the
directory locked, and we close() before releasing the lock, I'm not sure
how we could have background merges going on that weren't triggered within
the thread currently holding the directory lock.

The mystery is still what, on the current thread, could be triggering
merges.  As mentioned in the original post, up to the point that we're
getting the "false" return value, the only write operations we've done is
tryDeleteDocument.  I think it's a mystery that's going to remain unsolved
unless we see this happen again.  I will be investigating turning on the
infoStream. :)

Thanks,
Derek