lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Jack Krupansky" <j...@basetechnology.com>
Subject Re: How to perform Wildcard search when using WhitespaceAnalyzer?
Date Mon, 18 Nov 2013 05:00:13 GMT
The presence of a wildcard character causes the query parser to completely
skip analysis for that term.

You, the writer of the query terms, need to manually simulate all the the
work that the analyzer does when a wildcard is present in a term.

What does your query actually look like, and what does the indexed data look
like?

The simple answer to your question is that wildcards don't behave any
differently between the two analyzers - simply because they are not used at
all for the wildcard terms.

-- Jack Krupansky

-----Original Message-----
From: raghavendra.k.rao@barclays.com
Sent: Sunday, November 17, 2013 10:14 PM
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: How to perform Wildcard search when using WhitespaceAnalyzer?

Hi All,

Sorry to repeat this question from my previous mail chain, but I am hoping
the modified subject will catch someone's attention - in case they are
familiar with this situation.

Could any one please suggest if it is possible to perform Leading and / or
trailing wildcard searches using WhitespaceAnalyzer? I was able to do such
searches using StandardAnalyzer but Lucene Search simply seems to ignore the
wildcards with WhitespaceAnalyzer. The issue is also not with the case as I
have ensured that the case both in index and search terms are the same.

WhitespaceAnalyzer works well for my cause, hence I don't want to switch
back to StandardAnalyzer.

////////////// Code //////////////

strBufSearchString.append("\"" +
QueryParser.escape(strTxtSearchString.trim().toUpperCase()) + "*" + "\"");

Analyzer analyzer = new WhitespaceAnalyzer(Version.LUCENE_43);

QueryParser parser = new QueryParser(Version.LUCENE_43, "CONTENTS",
analyzer);

query = parser.parse(strBufSearchString.toString());

//////////////////////////////////////////

Please suggest. It is real urgent.. Appreciate any possible help!

Regards,

Raghu

This message is for information purposes only, it is not a recommendation,
advice, offer or solicitation to buy or sell a product or service nor an
official confirmation of any transaction. It is directed at persons who are
professionals and is not intended for retail customer use. Intended for
recipient only. This message is subject to the terms at:
www.barclays.com/emaildisclaimer.

For important disclosures, please see:
www.barclays.com/salesandtradingdisclaimer regarding market commentary from
Barclays Sales and/or Trading, who are active market participants; and in
respect of Barclays Research, including disclosures relating to specific
issuers, please see http://publicresearch.barclays.com.