lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: What is the best way to aggregate scores for sets of documents?
Date Thu, 07 Nov 2013 12:22:34 GMT
Alas, the scoring is very simple: just what you see in the ScoreMode enum.

But this is something that we should fix, e.g. we should at least open
up a method so the app can do its own score aggregation.

What scoring/model do you have in mind?

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com

On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 7:08 AM, Manuel Amoabeng <mamoabeng@vjoon.com> wrote:
> Thanks for pointing me to the lucene-join module.
> Does the ToParentBlockJoinQuery produce the scores in a more sophisticated way than the
ScoreMode enum suggests?
> Actually finding the related entities is not my problem, I am only having trouble to
produce scores consistent with the overall content of an article.

> Thanks,
>
> Manuel
>

> On 07.11.2013, at 12:08, Michael McCandless <lucene@mikemccandless.com> wrote:
>
>> Maybe the join module fits here?  For example you can join "up" to a
>> single parent from multiple child hits.  I described one of the
>> options (now called ToParentBlockJoinQuery) here:
>> http://blog.mikemccandless.com/2012/01/searching-relational-content-with.html
>> but there is also query-time joining now as well, which Martijn
>> described here:
>> http://blog.trifork.com/2012/01/22/query-time-joining-in-lucene/
>>
>> Mike McCandless
>>
>> http://blog.mikemccandless.com
>>

>> On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 5:59 AM, Manuel Amoabeng <mamoabeng@vjoon.com> wrote:
>>> Hello everybody,
>>>

>>> I am currently working on an index where the documents only represent parts of
the entities that should be searchable:
>>> We have text objects indexed as independent documents but actually want to find
articles the text objects are placed on. We also need to provide an indication of the relevance
of the matched articles.
>>> In this scenario the way the content of an article is distributed in text objects
will determine how many hits representing the article are present in TopDocs.scoreDocs and
what score they carry.

>>> Is there are a way to aggregate the scores for logically connected ScoreDocs
so that the result would be similar to the score a single document containing all matched
content would have gotten?