lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Alan Burlison <alan.burli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: What is the best way to aggregate scores for sets of documents?
Date Thu, 07 Nov 2013 13:40:53 GMT
On 07/11/2013 13:17, Manuel Amoabeng wrote:

> Sounds good, but wouldn't  the aggregated scores of documents
> consisting of many sub-documents potentially be greater than the
> scores of docs with very few sub-documents even if the overall
> content is equal?

I don't pretend to understand Lucene scoring well enough to say, I just
did the easiest thing I could think of and by observation it worked
well, so I didn't bother digging any further. You could always average
the scores within a grouping which would reduce the influence of the
number of documents, but in my case I wanted groupings with higher
numbers of matching documents to score higher, so simple addition of the
scores worked well.

--
Alan Burlison