lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Ramprakash Ramamoorthy <youngestachie...@gmail.com>
Subject Handling abrupt shutdown while indexing
Date Thu, 03 Oct 2013 12:40:20 GMT
Team,

         We have our app using lucene 4.1. Docs keep getting indexed and we
close the index by 00.00 hrs every day and open a new one for the next
calendar day, however in case of an abrupt shutdown/kill of the JVM, the
app server crashes and the live indexes end up remaining without a
segments.gen file, and with a write.lock file. Say the abrupt shut down
happens by 23:55, all the documents indexed from 00:01 to 23:54 are lost.
NRT searchers function well before the shutdown.

         Is there anyway I can recover such indexes without a segments.gen?
Or committing periodically (say one hour once or when 1000 docs indexed) is
the only way? Or am I missing something very basic? Thanks in advance.

--
With Thanks and Regards,
Ramprakash Ramamoorthy,