lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Geoff Cooney <cooney.ge...@gmail.com>
Subject Custom Segment Element
Date Mon, 28 Oct 2013 13:26:36 GMT
Hi,

We build a custom parallel index for geo fields containing a z-order based
tree structure. This was originally developed against 3.x but we are
looking at upgrading to lucene 4.x now.

In the current implementation, we inject ourselves into the IndexingChain
on indexing. The challenge is on merge where we couldn't find an extension
point that let us merge our geo index segments inside the lucene merge
process.  We worked around this by adding a custom extension point.  This
is obviously not ideal as we are using a (very mildly) forked version of
IndexWriter.

What is the correct way to handle this in 4.x?  My first thought from
looking through the lucene code is that we could create a custom
PostingsFormat for geo fields.  Does this sound right?

Thanks,
Geoff