lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Earl Hood <e...@earlhood.com>
Subject Performance/scoring impacts with multiple occurrences of a field
Date Tue, 08 Oct 2013 02:03:32 GMT
Using Lucene 3.

I know Lucene supports multiple occurrences of a field, and if one
searches on that field, all fields are checked for hits.  One question I
have is if there is a performance difference between if all the data I
want to index is represented by a single field vs multiple fields of the
same name?

The other question is if scoring of results differ between the use of a
single field vs multiple fields of the same name?

For results ranking, I am guessing there is an effect based on
<https://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/LuceneFAQ#How_can_I_search_over_multiple_fields.3F>
and
<https://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/LuceneFAQ#Does_the_position_of_the_matches_in_the_text_affect_the_scoring.3F>
But I am not sure if this only applicable for cases of different fields
names vs fields of the same name.

--ewh