lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Adrien Grand <jpou...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Optimize Lucene 4.4 for CPU usage
Date Sat, 31 Aug 2013 11:25:07 GMT
Hi,

On Sat, Aug 31, 2013 at 6:55 AM, Rose, Stuart J <stuart.rose@pnnl.gov> wrote:
> I've noticed that processes that were previously IO bound (in 3.5) are now CPU bound
(in 4.4) and I expect it is due to the compression/decompression of term vector fields  in
4.4.

> It would be nice if users of 4.4 could turn the compression OFF entirely.

Even though the default Lucene codec just tries to make good
trade-offs regarding I/O vs. CPU usage for most use-cases, it is
possible that it is not optimal for your use-case. If this is a
problem, it is possible to change the trade-offs by writing a custom
codec.

--
Adrien