lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Michael Sokolov <msoko...@safaribooksonline.com>
Subject Re: Query serialization/deserialization
Date Sun, 04 Aug 2013 20:55:53 GMT
On 07/28/2013 07:32 PM, Denis Bazhenov wrote:
>> A full JSON query ser/deser would be an especially nice additionto Solr, allowing
direct access to all Lucene Query features even if they haven't been integrated into the higher
level query parsers.
> There is nothing we could do, so we wrote one, in fact :) I'll try to elaborate with
the team on the question of contributing it to OSS.

> On Jul 29, 2013, at 1:54 AM, Jack Krupansky <jack@basetechnology.com> wrote:
>
>> Yeah, it's a shame such a ser/deser feature isn't available in Lucene.
>>
>> My idea is to have a separate module that the Query classes can delegate to for serialization
and deserialization, handling recursion for nested query objects, and then have modules for
XML, JSON, and a pseudo-Java functional notation (maybe closer to JavaScript) for the actual
formatting and parser. And then developers can subclass the module to add any custom Query
classes of their own.
I struggled with this as well, and ended up implementing a parallel
query class hierarchy for query classes I cared about; they support a
toXmlNode that generates an xml tree that can then be parsed by the
Lucene XML query parser.  You can see the code here
(https://github.com/msokolov/lux/blob/master/src/main/java/lux/query/ParseableQuery.java)

but it would be hard to use outside my project.  A more general solution
would definitely be welcome.

One challenge of course is the wealth of different query parsers: it
would be nice to be able to emit classic Lucene query parser queries
where possible, wouldn't it, in addition to structured output like XML
and JSON?

-Mike