lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Uwe Schindler" <...@thetaphi.de>
Subject RE: SPI class of type org.apache.lucene.codecs.Codec error
Date Fri, 16 Aug 2013 15:52:45 GMT
Hi,

Maven makes it even simplier to handle this! The problem may be (I am not sure not sure, because
I don’t know your setup):
It seems that you are using the Maven Shade Plugin to merge all JAR files into one BIG JAR
file. During this step, you may be missing to merge all the data correctly in your JAR files.
Lucene JARs also contain metadata and other resources (in addition to class files) in the
META-INF folders and those are generally not always merged by all those tools, so those must
be copied and merged if multiple META-INF/services with same name exist. The Maven-Shade-Plugin
can do this for you, see:

http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-shade-plugin/examples/resource-transformers.html
Especially: http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-shade-plugin/examples/resource-transformers.html#ServicesResourceTransformer

It is recommended to use the ServicesResourceTransformer option.

Ideally, you should not change or transform JAR files of Lucene at all and not merge them,
just ship them with your project as is. Please keep them separate, only for special use cases
like autostarting double-click JAR files, merge them otherwise management gets crazy.

In any case, please check your classpath:
- Are the *unmodified* lucene-core.jar files in it?
- Don't use crazy classloader hierarchies. Keep all Lucene code together in one classloader
(so don't place Lucene JAR files outside your webapp, but the code using lucene inside a webapp).
- If you create uber-JARS (which is a bad idea in general), use Maven-Shade plugin and configure
it correctly. The Uber-JAR file must contain a "META-INF/services" folder with some org.apache.lucene.index.*
files.

-----
Uwe Schindler
H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen