lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Jack Krupansky" <j...@basetechnology.com>
Subject Re: Query serialization/deserialization
Date Sun, 28 Jul 2013 14:54:56 GMT
Yeah, it's a shame such a ser/deser feature isn't available in Lucene.

My idea is to have a separate module that the Query classes can delegate to
for serialization and deserialization, handling recursion for nested query
objects, and then have modules for XML, JSON, and a pseudo-Java functional
notation (maybe closer to JavaScript) for the actual formatting and parser.
And then developers can subclass the module to add any custom Query classes
of their own.

A full JSON query ser/deser would be an especially nice additionto Solr,
allowing direct access to all Lucene Query features even if they haven't
been integrated into the higher level query parsers.

And maybe the format should have a flag for whether terms have been analyzed
or not. Then, deserialization could optionally do analysis as well.

The Solr QueryParsing.toString method shows a purely external approach to
serialization (I've done something similar myself.) This is what is output
in the "parsedquery" section of debugQuery output for a Solr query response.

-- Jack Krupansky

-----Original Message-----
From: Denis Bazhenov
Sent: Sunday, July 28, 2013 1:59 AM
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Query serialization/deserialization

I'm looking for a tool to serialize and deserialize Lucene queries. We have
tried using Query.toString(), but some queries return string that couldn't
be parsed by a QueryParser afterwards. The alternative possibility is to use
standard Java serialization mechanism. The reason I'm trying to avoid it, is
that serialization is used to communicate in distributed system, and we
can't guarantee the equality of Lucene version at all nodes at any
particular point in time.

Is there some way to perform query serialization in "lucene version
independent way"?
---
Denis Bazhenov <dotsid@gmail.com>