lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: lucene 4.3 seems to be much slower in indexing than lucene 3.6?
Date Wed, 31 Jul 2013 18:30:30 GMT
On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 6:13 PM, Zhang, Lisheng
<Lisheng.Zhang@broadvision.com> wrote:
> Hi Mike,
>
> I did more tests with realistic text from different languages (typical
> text for 8 different languages, English one is novel "Animal Farm").
>
> What I found seems to be:
>
> ## Indexing:
> 36 and 43 comparable (your previous comment is very correct).
>
> ## Search:
> 43 seems to be slower (30%), checking details, it seems it all due to
> initial searcher creation and first search (warming), as if 43 did much
> more in warming?

Hmm, I'm not sure off hand why searcher warming would be slower in 4.3.

Are you relying on FieldCache (e.g. sorting by a field instead of by
relevance).  Switching to doc values should make warming much faster.

Are you sure the test was fair?  Ie, in both cases the index was
either hot or cold?

For your 4.3 test you fully reindexed right?  Ie, searched against a
4.3 (not 3.6) index?

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com