lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: Directly use inverted index
Date Sat, 27 Jul 2013 10:43:51 GMT
You can create your own Codec and implement your own formats, e.g.
PostingsFormat controls how postings are encoded on disk.

It's best to let the OS load the index into RAM ... as long as you
have enough free RAM, the OS will use it to cache all hot pages from
the index.

We do have a RAMDirectory but this is really best for tiny indices for
testing purposes: it's very GC heavy for large indices because it
always uses 1 KB byte[] to hold the files.

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com