lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Jack Krupansky" <j...@basetechnology.com>
Subject Re: Performance measurements
Date Wed, 24 Jul 2013 16:40:25 GMT
Thanks for the detailed numbers. Nothing seems unexpected to me. Increasing
query complexity or term count is simply going to increase query execution
time.

I think I'll add a new rule to my informal performance guidance - Query
complexity of no more than ten to twenty terms is a "slam dunk", but more
than that is "uncharted territory" that risks queries taking more than half
a second or even multiple seconds and requires a proof of concept
implementation to validate reasonable query times.

-- Jack Krupansky

-----Original Message-----
From: Sriram Sankar
Sent: Wednesday, July 24, 2013 12:11 PM
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Performance measurements

I did some performance tests on a real index using a query having the
following pattern:

termA AND (termB1 OR termB2 OR ... OR termBn)

The results were not good and I was wondering if I may be doing something
wrong (and what I would need to do to improve performance), or is it just
that the OR is very inefficient.

The format for the data below is illustrated below by example:

5|10
time: 0.092728962; scored: 18

Here, n=5, and we measure performance for retrieval of 10 results which is
0.0927ms. Had we not early terminated, we would have obtained 18 results.

As you will see in the data below, the performance for n=0 is very good,
but goes down drastically as n is increased.

Sriram.

0|10
time: 0.007941587; scored: 10887

0|1000