lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Jack Krupansky" <j...@basetechnology.com>
Subject Re: Relevance ranking calculation based on filtered document count
Date Mon, 01 Jul 2013 12:09:57 GMT
The very definition of a "filter" in Lucene is that it doesn't influence
relevance/scoring in any way, so your question is a contradiction in terms.

If you are finding that the use of a filter is affecting the scores of
documents, then that is clearly a bug.

-- Jack Krupansky

-----Original Message-----
From: Nigel V Thomas
Sent: Monday, July 01, 2013 7:38 AM
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Relevance ranking calculation based on filtered document count

Hi,

I would like to know if it is possible to calculate the relevance ranks of
documents based on filtered document count?
The current filter implementations as far as I know, seems to be applied
after the query is processed and ranked against the full set of documents.
Since system wide IDF values are used to rank documents, the resulting
ordering is different from a set whose range is restricted only to the
filtered set of documents.

Many thanks,

Nigel