lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Roberto Ragusa <m...@robertoragusa.it>
Subject Re: Regarding Lucene Highlighting feature.
Date Fri, 05 Jul 2013 13:33:32 GMT
On 07/05/2013 01:27 PM, VIGNESH S wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think using CompressingStoredFieldsFormat Feature introduced in Lucene
> 4.1 may help reduce index size.
>
> Any other comments and suggestions are welcome in this topic..

Do you have access to the original documents, outside Lucene?
If so, you can avoid storing anything.
When you want to highlight, you read the document again, build a
new index (in RAM, with stored=true), do the search again (in an index
with only one document), extract highlights, destroy the index.

I've done that in the past; it works beautifully.
And the performance is not bad at all.
Well, I actually do this for each _field_ in a document I want to highlight
(for reasons I will not go to explain).

Best regards.

   Roberto Ragusa    mail at robertoragusa.it