lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From heikki <tropic...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: New Lucene User
Date Mon, 17 Jun 2013 21:34:38 GMT
hi,

I think Lucene is an excellent option for you.

You don't need to export the data to a flat file first. You can just access
your database (in whatever way you normally like, e.g. using JDBC or
Hibernate). You can do this for example once a day, retrieving only
modified records. For each record you retrieve, you create a so-called
Lucene Document. You add fields to these documents as you see fit -- for
example, you want to search in 20 of your 30 columns, so you could add
fields containing the values from those 20 columns to the Lucene Document.
You give each Document to an IndexWriter, which will add it to the Lucene
index. When you search, you retrieve such documents, which you can use then
to create a UI display for search results.

Of course there's a lot more to say about this and I'd recommend you check
online tutorials or one of the Lucene books like *Lucene In Action* to
learn more about how to use Lucene in detail.

Kind regards
Heikki Doeleman