lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Jack Krupansky" <j...@basetechnology.com>
Subject Re: Lucene Indexes explanantion
Date Mon, 10 Jun 2013 20:32:15 GMT
Even though you've posted for Lucene, you might want to consider taking a
look at Solr because Solr has an Admin UI with an Analysis page which gives
you a nice display of how index and query text is analyzed into tokens,
terms, and attributes - all of which Solr inherits from Lucene.

And check out the unit tests for Lucene (and Solr) for indexing. Then you
can actually step through code and see it happen.

Otherwise, google for blogs on various sub-topics of interest with specific
terms.

OTOH... don't try diving too deeply until you've written and understood a
fair amount of Java code using Lucene. Otherwise, you won't have enough
context to understand or even ask intelligent questions.

-- Jack Krupansky

-----Original Message-----
From: nikhil desai
Sent: Monday, June 10, 2013 1:24 PM
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Lucene Indexes explanantion

Hello,

My first time post in this group.

I have been using Lucene recently. I have a question.

Where can I find a good explanation on Indexes. Or rather how indexing (Not
really the mathematical aspect) happens in Lucene, what all
attributes(charTerm, Offset etc) come into play? And the way it is
implemented? I checked the "Lucene In Action" and could not find much on
actual indexing, what all classes etc are being used.

Appreciate your help.

Thanks
NIKHIL