lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Jack Krupansky" <j...@basetechnology.com>
Subject Re: New Lucene User
Date Mon, 17 Jun 2013 22:16:06 GMT
Try starting with Solr. You can have your search server up and running
without writing any code. And Solr's Data Import Handler can load data
direct from the database.

-- Jack Krupansky

-----Original Message-----
From: raghavendra.k.rao@barclays.com
Sent: Monday, June 17, 2013 5:03 PM
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: New Lucene User

Hi,

I have a requirement to perform a full-text search in a new application and
I came across Lucene and I want to check if it helps our cause.

Requirement:

I have a SQL Server database table with around 70 million records in it. It
is not a live table and the data gets appended to it on a daily basis.

The table has about 30 columns. The user will provide one string, and this
value has to be searched against 20 columns for each record. All matching
records need to be displayed in the UI.

My Analysis

Based on what I have read until now about Lucene, I believe I need to
convert my database table data into a flat file, generate indexes and then
perform the search.

Questions

-          To begin with, is Lucene a good option for this kind of
requirement? Note: Let us ignore daily index generation and UI display for
this discussion.

-          Should the entire data of 70 million records exist in one flat
file?

-          How do I define what fields (20 columns) should be searched among
the complete list (30 columns)?

As I am just starting off, I may not even know about other dependencies. I
kindly request you to provide clarifications / reference to an example that
would suit my case.

Thanks,
Raghu

This message is for information purposes only, it is not a recommendation,
advice, offer or solicitation to buy or sell a product or service nor an
official confirmation of any transaction. It is directed at persons who are
professionals and is not intended for retail customer use. Intended for
recipient only. This message is subject to the terms at:
www.barclays.com/emaildisclaimer.

For important disclosures, please see:
www.barclays.com/salesandtradingdisclaimer regarding market commentary from
Barclays Sales and/or Trading, who are active market participants; and in
respect of Barclays Research, including disclosures relating to specific
issuers, please see http://publicresearch.barclays.com.