lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Koji Sekiguchi <k...@r.email.ne.jp>
Subject Re: A Problem in Customizing DefaultSimilarity
Date Wed, 12 Jun 2013 14:46:52 GMT
Hi Oliver,

> My questions are:
>
> 1.       Why are the overrided lengthNorm() (under Lucene410) or
> computeNorm() (under Lucene350) methods not called during a searching
> process?

Regardless of whether you override the method or not, Lucene framework
calls the method during index time only because length norm can be
calculated by using the number of tokens in the field, i.e. not need to call
it search time.

> 2.       How and where is fieldNorm calculated?

I think fieldNorm = lengthNorm * boost of the field. Please see Javadoc for more detail:

http://lucene.apache.org/core/4_3_0/core/org/apache/lucene/search/similarities/TFIDFSimilarity.html

koji
--
http://soleami.com/blog/automatically-acquiring-synonym-knowledge-from-wikipedia.html