lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Steven Schlansker <ste...@likeness.com>
Subject Re: Seemingly very difficult to wrap an Analyzer with CharFilter
Date Wed, 12 Jun 2013 23:02:20 GMT

On Jun 12, 2013, at 3:44 PM, Michael Sokolov <msokolov@safaribooksonline.com> wrote:

> You may not have noticed that CharFilter extends Reader.  The expected pattern here is
that you chain instances together -- your CharFilter should act as *input* to the Analyzer,
I think.  Don't think in terms of extending these analysis classes (except the base ones designed
for it): compose them so that each consumes the one before it

Hi Mike,

Hm, that may work out.  I am a little surprised because I thought the intention is that you
set the Analyzer up as part of the configuration, and when you add documents, the analyzer
takes care of all text processing.  In particular this means that now I have to ensure that
the same transformation is done at query time, and I thought the analyzer abstraction was
supposed to avoid this.

But if this is how it should be done, it could work.  Thanks for the pointer.

Steven

> On 6/11/2013 7:52 PM, Steven Schlansker wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I am trying to add a CharFilter to my Analyzer.  I started with a StandardAnalyzer
wrapped with an ASCIIFoldingFilter.  Then I realized that it does not handle searches for
names that include punctuation well, for example I want a PrefixQuery "pf" to match "P.F.
Chang's" or "zaras" to match "Zara's".

>> It seems that the easiest plan of attack here is to filter out all punctuation before
analysis.  Per the Analyzer package documentation, that means I should use a CharFilter.

>> However, it seems next to impossible to actually insert a CharFilter into the analyzer!
>>
>> The JavaDoc for Analyzer.initReader says "Override this if you want to insert a CharFilter".
>>
>> If my code extends Analyzer, I can extend initReader but I cannot delegate createComponents
to my base StandardAnalyzer, as it is protected.  I cannot delegate tokenStream to my base
analyzer, because it is final.  So a subclass of Analyzer seemingly cannot use another Analyzer
to do its dirty work.

>> There is an AnalyzerWrapper class that seems perfect for what I want!  I can provide
a base analyzer and only override the pieces that I want.  Except … initReader is overridden
already to delegate to the base analyzer, and this override is "final"!  Bummer!

>> I guess I could have my Analyzer be in the org.apache.lucene.analyzers package and
then I can access the protected createComponents method, but this seems like a disgustingly
hacky way to bypass the public API that I really should use.