lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Shai Erera <>
Subject Re: search-time facetting in Lucene
Date Mon, 06 May 2013 04:56:07 GMT
Hi Clive,

In order to use Lucene facets you need to make indexing time decisions.
It's not that you don't make these decisions anyway, even with Solr -- for
example, you need to decide how to tokenize the fields by which you want to
facet, or in Lucene 4.0 index them as SortedSetDocValuesField.

If you upgrade to Lucene 4.3, you can avoid the use of the taxonomy index,
in exchange for real simple facetting, by using
SortedSetDocValuesFacetFields, but again you will need to reindex your data.