lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Jack Krupansky" <j...@basetechnology.com>
Subject Re: Query with phrases, wildcards and fuzziness
Date Wed, 22 May 2013 00:24:45 GMT
Just escape embedded spaces with a backslash.

-- Jack Krupansky

-----Original Message-----
From: Ross Simpson
Sent: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 8:08 PM
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Query with phrases, wildcards and fuzziness

Hi all,

I'm trying to create a fairly complex query, and having trouble constructing
it.

My index contains a TextField with place names as strings, e.g.:
Port Melbourne, VIC 3207

I'm using an analyzer with just KeywordTokenizer and LowerCaseFilter, so
that my strings are not tokenized at all.

I want to support end-user searches like the following, and have them match
that string above:
Port Melbourne, VIC 3207 (exact)
Port (prefix)
Port Mel (prefix, including a space)
Melbo (wildcard)
Melburne (fuzzy)

I'm trying to get away with not parsing the query myself, and just
constructing something like this:
parser.parse( "(STRING^9) OR (STRING*^7) OR (*STRING*^5) OR (STRING~1^3) );

That doesn't seem to work, neither with QueryParser nor with
ComplexPhraseQueryParser.  Specifically, I'm having trouble getting
appropriate results when there's a space in the input string, notable with
the wildcard match part (it ends up returning everything in the index).

Is my approach above possible?  I also have had a look at using specific
Query implementations and combining them in a BooleanQuery, but I'm not
quite sure how to replicate the "OR" behavior I want (from reading,
Occur.SHOULD is not equivalent or "OR").

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Ross