lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From kiwi clive <kiwi_cl...@yahoo.com>
Subject search-time facetting in Lucene
Date Mon, 06 May 2013 03:22:56 GMT
Hello all

Lucene version 3.6.1.

Sorry if this is a really stupid question, but is it possible to use search-time facetting
on an existing lucene index without the need to reindex?

My (limited) understanding is that FacetsCollector will pull facet data from indexes that
have been created with the use of TaxonomyWriter and CategoryDocumentBuilder. It does look
like the Bobo contribution does not require index changes (and solr looks similar) but I was
wondering what lucene does out-of-the-box.

So, what I need to achieve is:
- (simple) facetted search with raw lucene without the need to reindex.
- use of solr is not an option but a lucene version upgrade is.

Am I right in thinking the implementation of facetting is different in solr to that in lucene
?

If you could point me a resource so I can learn more, I'd be very grateful.

Many thanks,
Clive