lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Jack Krupansky" <j...@basetechnology.com>
Subject Re: classic.QueryParser - bug or new behavior?
Date Sun, 19 May 2013 19:25:59 GMT
Yeah, just go ahead and escape the slash, either with a backslash or by
enclosing the whole term in quotes. Otherwise the slash (even embedded in
the middle of a term!) indicates the start of a regex query term.

-- Jack Krupansky

-----Original Message-----
From: Scott Smith
Sent: Sunday, May 19, 2013 2:50 PM
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: classic.QueryParser - bug or new behavior?

I just upgraded from lucene 4.1 to 4.2.1.  We believe we are seeing some
different behavior.

I'm using org.apache.lucene.queryparser.classic.QueryParser.  If I pass the
string "20110920/EXPIRED" (w/o quotes) to the parser, I get:

org.apache.lucene.queryparser.classic.ParseException: Cannot parse
'20110920/EXPIRED': Lexical error at line 1, column 17.  Encountered: <EOF>
after : "/EXPIRED"
       at
org.apache.lucene.queryparser.classic.QueryParserBase.parse(QueryParserBase.java:131)

We believe this used to work.

I tried googling for this and found something that said I should use
QueryParser.escape() on the string before passing it to the parser.
However, that seems to break phrase queries (e.g., "John Smith" - with the
quotes; I assume it's escaping the double-quotes and doesn't realize it's a
phrase).

Since it is a forward slash, I'm confused why it would need escaping of any
of the characters in the string with the "/EXPIRED".

Has anyone seen this?

Scott