lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Arun Kumar K <arunk...@gmail.com>
Subject "4.1 consuming more memory than 3.0.2 while Indexing"
Date Mon, 01 Apr 2013 11:56:47 GMT
Hi Guys,

I have been finding out the heap space requirement for indexing and
searching with 3.0.2 vs 4.1 (with BlockPostings Format).

I have a 2GB index with 1 million docs with around 42 fields with 40 fields
being random strings.

I have seen that memory for search has reduced by 5X with 4.1 (with
BlockPostings Format) but the memory usage during indexing with 4.1 is
around 800MB~1.7 GB whereas for 3.0.2 it is 300~600MB.
But indexing time is almost same with both versions.

So, 2~3X more memory required for 4.1 version for indexing.

What could be the reasons for this ?
Did i go wrong somewhere ?  Can somebody explain ?

Arun