lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Aleksey <bitterc...@gmail.com>
Subject Optimizing NRT search
Date Fri, 26 Apr 2013 03:10:44 GMT
Hey guys,

I'm new to Lucene and I was trying to estimate how fast I can make updates
to the index and reopen it. The behavior I'm seeing seems odd.
I'm using Lucene4.2 and SearchManager instance that takes an index writer.

I make a loop where I update 1 document, then call maybeRefresh and acquire
new searcher and make a search to verify that the update is there. On my
laptop this does about 100 iterations per second.

Then I run another loop but make 10 updates before reopening the index, and
this only does 10 iterations per second, proportionally less. I was
expecting that if I batch the updates, I can get higher overall throughput,
but that does not seem to be the case. The size of the index I'm updating
doesn't make a difference either, I tried 3K and 100K document sets, 1-2K
each doc, but both produce same update speed (though I'm not calling commit
in these instances).

Can anyone point me into the right direction to investigate this or hint
how to maximize write throughput to the index, while still <.5 second
delays in seeing the updates.

Thank you in advance,

Aleksey