lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Alan Woodward <>
Subject Re: Document scoring order?
Date Thu, 04 Apr 2013 08:28:45 GMT
Hi Otis,

It depends on the Scorer implementation.  The default iterates through matching documents
by calling nextDoc(), which just moves along the postings lists in-order, but you could roll
your own.  You're pretty constrained by the fact that the low-level DocIdSetIterators only
move forward though.

I'm experimenting with some out-of-order postings lists (for example, sorted by frequency)
to allow early search termination for disjunction queries, but this has its own drawbacks
- if postings lists for different terms are in different orders, then you can't use any Scorer
that calls advance().

The other thing to look at would be sorted segments, see

Alan Woodward