lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Ashish Sarna" <ashish.sa...@thepsi.com>
Subject Taking backup of a Lucene index
Date Wed, 17 Apr 2013 10:57:12 GMT
I want to take back-up of a Lucene index. I need to ensure that index files
would not change when I take their backup.

I am concerned about the housekeeping/merge/optimization activities which
Lucene performs internally. I am not sure when/how these activities are
performed by Lucene and how we can prevent them.

My application (which allows indexing and searching over the created
indexes) keeps running in the background. I can ensure that nothing is
written to the indexes by my application when I take their backup, but I am
not sure whether indexes would change in some manner when a search is
performed over it.

How can I ensure that an index would not change (i.e., no
housekeeping/merge/optimization activity is performed by Lucene) when I take
its backup?

Any help would be much appreciated.

PS: Currently I am using Lucene 2.9.4 but wish to upgrade it to 3.6.2.

Regards

Ashish