lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Uwe Schindler" <...@thetaphi.de>
Subject RE: Is there a maximum size for a reader?
Date Fri, 19 Apr 2013 16:22:52 GMT
A MultiReader is only limited by the Integer.MAX_VALUE limitation for the number of documents
(because IndexReader.document() only uses int as doc-id). MultiReader has no logic at all,
it is just a "container" of other index readers. The search runs on the leaves of the IndexReader
(IndexReader.leaves()), which are AtomicReaders. The number of AtomicReaders on the whole
reader structure (MultiReader with n DirectoryReaders each consisting of m AtomicReaders)
and the number of documents per atomic reader is more the limiting factor.

-----
Uwe Schindler
H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen
http://www.thetaphi.de