lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Robert Muir <rcm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: FST-based suggesters: recent changes, binary compatibility of automata
Date Sat, 02 Mar 2013 14:19:31 GMT
On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 11:16 AM, Oliver Christ <ochrist@ebscohost.com> wrote:

> I've seen some changes in trunk regarding the data format of Lucene's
> FST-based suggesters, and wonder whether the automata created by trunk
> builds/next Lucene version are/will be binary-compatible to the ones
> created with the current release, or whether any magic versioning is
> taking place behind the scenes.

There is versioning inside the FST, but thats only a part of the
suggester format.

We've changed the suggester formats in incompatible ways before: their
is no backwards compatibility guarantee for suggesters and we don't
test that.

mainly FST (unfortunately) has backwards compatibility because parts
of the official index format use it.