lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Simon Willnauer <simon.willna...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Lucene slow performance
Date Fri, 15 Mar 2013 22:44:41 GMT
Can you tell us a little more about how you use lucene, how do you
index, do you use NRT or do you open an IndexReader for every request,
do you maybe us a custom merge policy or somthing like this, any
special IndexWriter settings?

On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 11:15 PM, Scott Smith <ssmith@mainstreamdata.com> wrote:
> We have a system that is using lucene and the searches are very slow.  The number of
documents is fairly small (less than 30,000) and each document is typically only 2 to 10 kilo-characters.
 Yet, searches are taking 15-16 seconds.

> One of the things I noticed was that the index directory has several thousand (3000+)
.cfs files.  We do optimize the index once per day.  This is a system that probably gets several
thousand document deletes and additions per day (spread out across the day).

> Any thoughts.  We didn't really notice this until we went to 4.x.

what do you mean what didn't you notice, the slowness or the CFS files?

simon