lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Scott Smith <ssm...@mainstreamdata.com>
Subject RE: Lucene slow performance
Date Fri, 15 Mar 2013 22:52:02 GMT
A little more data, of the 3330 files in the index, 2173 are CFS files and average 120k.  Another
1116 files are .del's and average about 4kB.  The remaining .prx, .frq, etc. consists of 41
files and total only 101MB.  The largest files are 3 .prx files which total less than 60MB
and 2 .frq of about 10MB each.

I also noticed that some of the cfs and the del files date back to July of last year (probably
the last time we did a full reindexed the system).  I would have thought running an optimization
(which we do on a daily basis) would have gotten rid of them.  I know optimization has changed
since 1.4, but does it not merge all of the various files into a few files?

-----Original Message-----
From: Scott Smith [mailto:ssmith@mainstreamdata.com]
Sent: Friday, March 15, 2013 4:15 PM
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Lucene slow performance

We have a system that is using lucene and the searches are very slow.  The number of documents
is fairly small (less than 30,000) and each document is typically only 2 to 10 kilo-characters.
 Yet, searches are taking 15-16 seconds.

One of the things I noticed was that the index directory has several thousand (3000+) .cfs
files.  We do optimize the index once per day.  This is a system that probably gets several
thousand document deletes and additions per day (spread out across the day).

Any thoughts.  We didn't really notice this until we went to 4.x.

Scott