lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Michael Wechner <michael.wech...@wyona.com>
Subject Re: Storing Documents in Lucene
Date Fri, 29 Mar 2013 08:16:52 GMT
you also might like to consider

Jackrabbit: http://jackrabbit.apache.org/

or

Yarep: https://github.com/wyona/yarep

which are both using Lucene for indexing, but the actual data storage is
hidden by an abstraction layer and is configurable/customizable.

HTH

Michael

Am 29.03.13 02:24, schrieb Adrien Grand:
> On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 11:06 PM, Paul<arachweb@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Hi,
> Hi Paul,
>
>> Some of the stuff I've read suggests that Lucene is not especially well-suited to
storing the documents. It's supposed to be great at indexing those documents, but not so great
at storing the docs themselves.

>> Can someone shed some light on this?
> I'd say that it is the same problem as with other databases: The
> problem with large stored fields is that they might make the I/O cache
> of your operating system go crazy and make search slower. However, if
> your fields are small (ie. not high-resolution photos), I think it is
> reasonable to store them in the Lucene index, especially now that
> Lucene compresses stored fields.
>
>> If this is true, then am I right to think that the typical Lucene use case is to
>>           a. Index a document
>>           b. Store in the index some kind of unique document identifier that is meaningful
to the
>>                "native" application
>>           c. Search the index, obtain this ID, and present it to the native app to
fetch the original
>>                 document?
> If you need to store your documents somewhere else anyway, this
> approach is good. But you could use Lucene as your primary store as
> well.
>
>> This came up in the context of trying to compare MongoDB and Lucene. But as I dug
into it I began to think that this might be an apples to oranges comparison. MongoDB builds
indices as you insert documents, but it seems like Lucene is more about the indexing and less
about storing documents.