lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Paul <arach...@gmail.com>
Subject Storing Documents in Lucene
Date Thu, 28 Mar 2013 22:06:47 GMT
Hi,

Some of the stuff I've read suggests that Lucene is not especially well-suited to storing
the documents. It's supposed to be great at indexing those documents, but not so great at
storing the docs themselves.

Can someone shed some light on this?

If this is true, then am I right to think that the typical Lucene use case is to
         a. Index a document
         b. Store in the index some kind of unique document identifier that is meaningful
to the
              "native" application
         c. Search the index, obtain this ID, and present it to the native app to fetch the
original
               document?

This came up in the context of trying to compare MongoDB and Lucene. But as I dug into it
I began to think that this might be an apples to oranges comparison. MongoDB builds indices
as you insert documents, but it seems like Lucene is more about the indexing and less about
storing documents.

Thank you.

-Paul