lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Adrien Grand <jpou...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: updateDocument question
Date Thu, 07 Feb 2013 18:56:30 GMT
On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 1:54 PM, Becker, Thomas <Thomas.Becker@netapp.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the response Adrien.  I guess I'll just leave things as they are for now.
 To be clear though, do merged segments get cleaned up completely even if the IndexWriter
is never closed?

The way it works is that indexing data creates segments (a single
segment usually contains a large number of documents), but the number
of segments is bounded so whenever this limit is reached, a merge is
triggered. When merging segments, deleted documents are skipped, this
is how deletions get expunged.

> Currently I'm using NRT search with a single writer that stays open for the lifetime
of the application.   This product will be shipped to customers, so I need the index to be
entirely self-managing.

Sounds good: having a long-living IndexWriter is the best way to index
documents. It will take care of merging segments whenever necessary.

--
Adrien