lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: IndexReader.reopen() If Index Has Been Rebuilt
Date Thu, 14 Feb 2013 14:18:50 GMT
This use case is fine: you can fully re-index into an index that's
held open by an IndexReader.

It's best to use IndexWriterConfig's OpenMode.CREATE to do this
(instead of rm -rf /path/to/index): this way if something goes wrong
with your indexing before it has a chance to commit (eg JVM or OS
crashes or disk fills up or what not), your old index commit point
(that the existing reader is still searching) remains intact.

If you do "rm -rf /path/to/index" ... I'm not sure that IR.reopen()
will work correctly.  But if you use OpenMode.CREATE it will.

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com