lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Trejkaz <trej...@trypticon.org>
Subject Migrating from using doc IDs to using application IDs from the FieldCache
Date Thu, 31 Jan 2013 13:00:20 GMT
Hi all.

We have an application which has been around for so long that it's
still using doc IDs to key to an external database.

Obviously this won't work forever (even in Lucene 3.x we had to use a
custom merge policy to keep it working) so we want to introduce
application IDs eventually. We have two potential paths here:

  1. Use our existing GUID field as the new unique ID and migrate to
that (with the huge drawback that indexing GUID columns on the
database is much, much slower than the current int column.)
  2. Introduce a new application ID (either int or long) and somehow
insert that into every document.

The time it would take to pull every document out, add a field for the
ID and index it again is too long to be desirable, so I'm wondering:
is there some way we could add this field to every document without
reindexing? Keeping Lucene 3.x as the limitation, that is... our
2.x-created indexes presumably won't open at all in 4.x without
significant work.

TX